Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"So am I a ding-a-ling or a ding-dong?"

No, this isn't another "I hate me" post. It's a semi-serious question. I've joined my church's bell choir, along with singing in the adult choir as I already do, and will be headed off to rehearsal shortly. Thought I would toss a quick post online before I went.

I do also have a question on which I would like feedback. Let's say that you're a high school theater director. *braces self as everyone choruses, "You're a high school theater director."* Thank you. For one particular female lead in the fall musical, you have two contenders.

Both girls can sing, dance, and act, without question. One girl has more experience, but her vocal range is wrong for the character. Her part would have to be transposed. The other girl does not have as much experience, but is still capable, and could sing the music as written.

Given these specifications, who would you cast? I'm just curious, because I know what my call would be, and I'd like to see if other people agree or disagree with me.

Short post tonight. More probably tomorrow. Everybody send healing thoughts Krystal's way--she's used almost an entire box of tissues today on account of hostile sinuses...

8 comments:

  1. I would cast the one who doesn't have as much experience....she'll get that with the part!!... since she is a much better fit with the part!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If she can sing the songs as they're already written better than the other girl i would cast the less experienced one... though that might just be because i've never gotten a callback in my life and kinda wished i had...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would choose the girl who fits the role better. She may have less experience, but this is a chance for her to gain more!

    ((sending healing thoughts through the inter-webs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone else, cast the one who doesnt need the part to be re-written, everyone has to start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, cast the girl who can sing as it's written. Just curious, what is the musical?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The musical is "Jekyll & Hyde," and the part is that of Emma, Dr. Jekyll's fiancee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the other commenters. I would give the part to the girl who can sing the parts as written. She's never going to get experience if she doesn't start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everyone else - the less experienced one, everyone has had to start there at some point. Hope you had fun at the rehearsal.
    *Sending healing vibes and good thoughts to Krystal*

    ReplyDelete