Thursday, September 8, 2011

"Am I evil, blah, or both?"

It's a fair question, especially on a day like today. The sky is blue with only a few clouds, the temperature hovers comfortably between warm and cool, and I am sitting indoors, thinking up new ways to torture characters and cats.

Part of the problem is that "He Nearly Killed the Cat" is in one of its transition phases. We've finished the first portion of the story, where the world gets established, a few characters get introduced, and the conflicts are set up for the next part. Now for that next part…

Unfortunately, it's not as easy as that. I have to figure out both what order would be the most convenient to have the conflicts resolved in from a writing standpoint, and what order will keep the tension and interest going from a reading standpoint.

Also, I have to decide which conflicts affect one another. Though this story, by its nature, has an episodic feel, the various things the characters do on their individual adventures are not isolated. They will have far-reaching effects. I just need to figure out what.

And finally, I have to get up the gumption to keep writing on this story and to work on other stories, fan fiction and original. I know me. If I let myself off writing every time I feel blah, I'll feel blah all the time.

(very little voice) Some nice reviews would help…

But seriously, what I need most right now is food, more tea, and then just to sit down and doggone well do it. No excuses, just work. It's the only way I'll ever get anything done.

So, with that in mind, to the kitchen! (And really, those reviews would help. I know I have to wean myself off reader appreciation eventually, but does it have to be right now?)

2 comments:

  1. REVIEW! hehe
    As you've probably figured out Anne i love your writing your stories and your characters! I will always be waiting for your next up date whether it takes 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years! your stories brighten my day! i've also convinced my sister and a few friends to read your work, and my sister is loving he nearly killed the cat as much as i do! so just sit down relax and write a few more chapters! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, I love your writing, but being a little older, I have found that I have to wait until a story is finished before I read it or all of the characters blend with the characters from the other stories of 'in progress' and 'abandoned' stories that I have read, turning my Swiss cheese brain to fondue!

    ReplyDelete