Thursday, August 25, 2011

"ALIENS! No, wait, it's just lightning. Never mind."

There was an enormous storm here last night, with several hundred lightning strikes inside five minutes (according to the local news). It got me up around 6 AM, after I had been up until three writing, and then scaredy-cats invaded my bed…

I'm not feeling quite as awake as usual right now, as you might guess, so this will probably be a short post. My current state of consciousness is hovering between "slightly loopy, good for writing" and "get horizontal within next ten minutes please."

As everyone who is enjoying "He Nearly Killed the Cat" will be glad to hear, I plan to take advantage of the good-for-writing portion of the evening as long as it lasts. It helps that I'm at what I consider a fascinating point in the story.

Writing fan fiction, while an excellent thing for developing writing skills in general, does have one major drawback. Because the world is already fully created, there is little need to describe characters or settings, since readers already know what they look like.

Therefore, my descriptive skills are not all they could be (though I kick butt at dialogue, if I do say so myself). With the chapter I am now writing, I have a brand-new setting to describe, and I hope to do so well enough that readers feel the same way I do about it.

Namely, that you could come around the corner one day and see it, and walk in the door and make yourself at home. Maybe snag a pretzel rod out of the jar on the counter, or steal some of the chocolate on the top shelf in the far left cabinet.

Who knows? Stranger things have happened.

(Not really, but hey, a girl can dream, can't she?)

No comments:

Post a Comment