Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"Good news, bad news. Who knows?"

I won't go through the whole story about the old man who never committed himself to what kind of news it was, because if you don't know it, you can probably find it online, or in an email forward somewhere. Instead I will tell you my news.

Tonight, I will be working on Chapter 9 of A Widow in Waiting. Chapters 1-8 are almost 50K words long. This is the good news.

The bad news, if you can call it that, is that this feels, story-wise, like the one-third rather than the one-half mark of the book. So it may turn out to be a bit longer, and take a little more time to finish, than it otherwise would have. I suppose I could trim, but I really don't want to.

I am going to be writing two other books covering this same time period, but one (Playing with Fire) will be from entirely different people's perspectives, letting you see events that are only reported here, and the other (Shadow's Dancing) will be in a different place altogether.

So... yeah. You'll have to let me know yourself if you think this is good news or bad news!

As for the DV, I will write it when it is ready to be written, and when this is ready to take a break. No idea quite yet when that will be, but trust me... you'll know.

Happy seven-year anniversary to it, though. My gosh, seven years... I was lounging on a futon when the idea hit, listening to a friend try to play my keyboard, and we were planning on watching a Netflix DVD of Star Trek: Voyager...

And then I started staying up until 3 AM and typing frantically until my roommate threatened to drop Oscar the O-Chem book on my head... at which point I would apologize and crawl into my bed-cave to think about what I would type the next day...

Good times, good times. Thank you for all the love you've showed me in the years since, and I hope we can keep it up! How's about I shoot for this time next year to wrap up SD and bring the DV to a fitting conclusion, huh?

2 comments:

  1. All I can do here is reiterate my gladness that things seem to be flowing well, and were not unduly interrupted by taking a weekend break. Also, I hope you have a great time at Jekyll and Hyde, although I admit I'm a bit envious of all the neat shows you get to go to. Best wishes, always.

    ReplyDelete